Having received information today from Robert J Scott, Knoxville, TN regarding David A. Daugherty & Nannie L. Daugherty, I can say with reasonable confidence and total excitement that David is the brother of Mary Jane Daugherty (my second great-grandmother). The information is as follows:
Goochland Co., VA, as listed with LDS Records, and died before 1849
in McMinn County, TN. She married John Dougherty 11 Jun 1799 in
Rockbridge Co., VA, son of John Dougherty, NOT CONFIRMED. He was
born 1776 in Strabane, Co. Tyrone, Ireland, and died before Jun 1849
in McMinn Co., TN.
Children of Hannah Letcher and John Dougherty are:
- Mary Hannah Dougherty, died before 25 Sep 1870.
- William Houston Dougherty. He married Louisa Hurt 08 Dec 1852 in Tazewell Co., VA.
- James Thompson Dougherty, born 1799 in VA; died before 1880 in Tazewell Co., VA.
- John L. Dougherty, born 1799 in Tazwell Co., VA; died Aft. 1868 in Texas (?) Registered voter in 1868, Hunt Co., TX
- Clarinda Julia Dougherty, born 1801 in Tazwell Co., VA; died about 1882 in Arkansas.
- Julia Ann “Julian” Dougherty, born about 1804. She married Manuel Parkinson4 06 Jan 1842 in John Jenkins, JP,McMinn Co., TN; born 17 Jul 1782; died 12 Mar 1847 in McMinn Co., TN. Manuel Parkinson: Burial: Eastanalle Graveyard, McMinn Co., TN
- Giles Dougherty, born 1805 in Rockbridge Co., VA; died 03 Nov 1883 in Molalla, Clackamas Co., OR.
- Mary Esther Dougherty, born 1810 in VA.
- Sallie Houston Dougherty, born 1812 in Tazwell Co., VA.
John L. Dougherty and Nancy Ward had at least four children, three sons and one daughter.
- George C. b. July 12, 1829 m. Mary J. Gillespie
- Issac W. b. July 30, 1828 m. Nancy Hoops
- David A. b. 1836 m. Nancy Nannie” L. Moore
- Mary Jane b. May 24, 1826 m. Daniel Parham Gregory
So that translated by Robert equals Mary Jane Daugherty and David A. Daugherty were 1st cousins, once removed to Governor John Letcher. They were 1 st cousins, twice removed to General Sam Houston. Cool huh?
Thank you Robert for the accuracy in your research.